A university vice-chancellor is leading a backlash against the suppression of freedom of speech on campus by setting up a “Contrarian Institute”.
Sir Anthony Seldon, of the University of Buckingham, said that higher education institutions should challenge conventional wisdom.
Edition the first
- class sizes – the bigger the better
- big data? Small data and less data more like
- universities are hugely under-regulated and administrators need to stop whining about it
- league tables are the best management tools around
- undergraduate fees are way too low
- international mobility experience does untold harm to students
- all hats, including sombreros, should be banned
- international students are damaging UKHE
- leaving Europe would be a funding bonanza for UK universities
- work experience of any kind fundamentally undermines academic study and student job prospects
- the REF happens far too infrequently
- students: playing a part in a student society is simply propping up the corrupt students’ union system
- teaching qualifications should preclude teachers from teaching
- unpaid internships are the best way for graduates to learn about the real world of fashion and media
- playing sport is bad for you
- the UK Needs a Donald Trump figure
- Philanthropy is more dangerous than gambling
Volume 1, Number iii
- we need more statues of 19th Century imperialist oppressors
- puppies should not be provided for students stressed by exams. They should be sent to live on farms if you know what I mean. All of them
- grade inflation is good for everyone
- universities should invest all their endowments in fossil fuels.
- expansion is probably a good thing. Or a bad thing
- the green paper is a brilliant piece of coherent, well-evidenced scholarship
Donald Trump commemorative edition
- dual support has always been a disaster and should be ended now
- Vice-Chancellors are not paid nearly enough
- student representation is simply complicity in the corrupt university governance regime
- the summer break is far too long. As are the Easter and Christmas breaks. And while we’re at it, our university operations should not be tied to the structure of an historical oppressive feudal agrarian model
- everyone should have to wear a hat, preferably a sombrero
- Germaine Greer is the best. Or possibly not.
- we should film everything that happen in universities. Literally everything
- restrictive gun laws are holding back our universities
- Laurie Taylor is not funny. He’s an establishment stooge.
- No platform – the New Street station redevelopment is a massive waste of money
- no more safe spaces – everywhere