About London Higher
London Higher is an ‘umbrella’ body representing over 40 publicly funded universities and higher education institutions in London, as well as several universities with centres in London and a small number of private providers.
Our outputs are diverse and include research reports, promotional material, meetings and workshops, parliamentary lobbying, media management and receptions. We also run a wide range of advisory groups and networks.
In addition we work closely with partner organisations including the Greater London Authority, London First, the business sector and higher education bodies.
London Higher offers a range of company-wide benefits including flexible working, work from home days and flexible start and finish times.
About the role
The Head of Communications and External Affairs will lead the new communications and external affairs function of the organisation working closely with the CEO and Senior Management Team as well as divisional teams across the organisation.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications professional to develop and deliver a new communications strategy.
Main responsibilities will include:
- To prepare and implement an effective communications strategy that champions London Higher members and provides a collective voice for London’s HEIs.
- To develop and deliver an effective external affairs approach and campaign strategies that reflect London Higher’s aims and priorities, in order to influence key stakeholders and policy makers.
- To line manage the Senior Policy officer to ensure that all policy, communications and external affairs activities and engagement are accurate, relevant and effective.
- To build a trusted relationship with local, national and sector press, securing positive media coverage for our policy messages and effectively managing and rebutting negative stories.
- To work alongside the CEO, Director of Operations and the Events and Executive Assistant in addition to the Senior Policy Officer, to ensure London Higher’s major meetings and events programme is appropriately aligned with the external affairs strategy.
About you (requirements)
If you feel you skills and experience match the below we would love to hear from you.
- Extensive communications experience including a track record of successfully shaping and implementing communications and external affairs strategy;
- Proven ability to make a demonstrable impact on brand awareness and policy outcomes for key audiences;
- Excellent copywriting and analytical skills with the ability to present information and draft quickly in a variety of styles for a range of audiences;
- Excellent communicator with the ability to build relationship with a range of stakeholders;
Familiarity with higher education issues and/or London would be an advantage, but is not essential.
Please download to the Job Pack and Job Specification for full details.
For further information or to apply please visit the London Higher Website