Reporting to the College Operations Manager (PTR and College Welfare) the Assistant Operations Manager will oversee and deliver operational activity for the School. This will require detailed understanding of the research and education agendas in addition to a solution focussed and problem solving approach to keeping the School moving within a fast-paced environment. The Assistant Operations Manager will lead a team consisting of the School Administration Manager and School Administrator. They will also manage short-term research administration posts attached to research grants.
Leadership and Management
• Work with the Head of School, College Operations Manager and senior academic team to operationalise School strategy
• Provide effective leadership and management of the School’s Professional Services team supporting academic delivery; reviewing workloads, resources and training needs, undertaking PDRs, identifying sickness patterns and leading on performance management issues.
• Through effective line management the post holder will lead and motivate the School administration team by agreeing and implementing high standards of delivery that are consistent with the College.
• Work with the College Head of HR and the School administration team to ensure effective HR management across the School including:
o Support the Head of School by overseeing recruitment for academic posts within the School
o Support the initiation of CPAG cases for submission to College CPAG panel
o Responsibility for Professional Services Performance Management issues, attendance management including sickness monitoring/absence, occupational health referrals and grievance procedures
• Support Heads of Department with short term solutions to address teaching gaps and assist in organising fixed-term Teaching Fellow appointments
• Lead the administration team in implementing effective procedures and processes with regard to the Annual Review/PDR’s/ and Senior Promotions process for academic staff
• Support the College Operations Manager in implementing change management strategies in relation to Professional Services staff
• Oversee the implementation of the School/College/Central induction plan for all new academic and professional services staff to the School
• Lead on the implementation of new systems and procedures relating to areas such as HR and Finance
• Responsible for leading the budget management for the School, advising the Head of School in the co-ordination of the annual budgeting and forecasting review process, in particular working with the Head of School and Heads of Department to assess and forecast the annual Bought in Teaching budget
• Monitor expenditure across the School’s core budgets, taking corrective action where necessary and overseeing the year end procedures
• Approve expense claims for the School falling beyond the remit authorised by the School Administration Manager
• Ensure education of and adherence to, appropriate financial legislation across the School
• Work closely with senior academics in the School to understand the research and teaching agenda in order to address resourcing gaps and seek solutions to implementing new initiatives, e.g. Head of Education, Head of Research, Heads of Department
• Work with key academic and professional services staff to lead the production of the academic teaching timetable
• Lead the co-ordination and timely production of the Workload Allocation Model for the School, working closely with the Head of School, Heads of Department and the administration team
• Support the School Athena Swann rep (an academic member of staff) in collating management information and supporting local/College based activities. Assisting with, and contributing to the School Action Plan and co-ordinating information for future School submissions.
• Work closely with the College Operations Manager for Facilities and School Administration Manager to ensure effective use of School space and facilities, including oversight of space planning and associated academic office re-organisation
• Oversee the work of the School Administration Manager to ensure timely and accurate reporting of management information as requested by College/University (e.g. Outside Activities; PDR completion rates)
• Support the delivery of service standards and local policies and procedures for the efficient operation of the School. Working with the College Operations Manager in identifying collaborative opportunities to ensure consistency/continuity of policies outlining additional “local” requirements within Schools.
• Actively contribute to College meetings, committees and working groups; deputising for the College Operations Manager as required
• Serve on and support School level committees, preparing papers and reports in addition to overseeing the committee servicing work of other members of administrative staff
• Undertake additional project specific tasks on behalf of the College Operations Manager
• Any other duties appropriate to the grade of the role as required by the Head of School and College Director of Operations