Policy Officer, Americas
Salary: £28,174 per annum
Post Type: Permanent
In the Policy Officer (Americas) role, you will act as our principal policy expert for the Americas region, with a particular emphasis on Latin America. This exciting role will offer opportunities for travel to the region, the chance to work with senior government officials and policy-makers, and the opportunity to use your regional expertise and –ideally – language skills – in support of UK higher education.
With a degree-level qualification, you will be a motivated, independent worker with a keen interest in higher education and the international dimensions of education policy. Competency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is an advantage.
In collaboration with the Head of International Engagement, you will work across the full range of UUKi’s thematic priorities to develop a programme of work that helps our members enhance their international profile and impact in the Americas. You will be responsible for providing high-quality information, advice and guidance, developing and maintaining strong relationships with the higher education sector and working with policy makers both in the UK and the Americas.
Main responsibilities: Policy Officer (Americas)
Working with the Head of International Engagement and Assistant Director for Policy,you will:
- Research policy developments and opportunities relating to international student recruitment and mobility, transnational education, partnerships, and research collaboration in the in Americas, with a particular focus on Latin America.
- Inform the prioritisation and development of projects and programmes of work relating to the region which help meet UUKi’s strategic objectives.
- Provide clear, high-quality advice in writing and in person to a range of stakeholders, including, but not limited to, the UUKi Director and Assistant Directors, UUKi members, funders, and government.
- Prepare briefing papers, presentations and speeches for the Director and other senior staff and stakeholders.
- Work closely with external stakeholders and policy influencers both in the UK and in the region, including officials in UK and overseas governments and UK and overseas higher education sectors, to influence policy developments for thebenefit of the UK sector.
- Represent UUKi at internal and external meetings and deliver presentations.
- Manage networks of higher educational professionals engaged with the regionfor. This will include delivering the secretariat for UUKi’s Latin America Policy Network, as part of which you will organise twice-yearly meetings.
- Organise international delegations of high-level UK stakeholders, and prepare senior colleagues to host incoming delegations. This may include support to UKGovernment colleagues managing VIP visits and other high-level activities.
- Write engaging copy for UUKi’s public communication platforms, including website and newsletters, and work with UUKi’s Communications team to ensure that work is effectively communicated to stakeholders through the appropriate media.
- Support the delivery of externally-funded projects and activities, including supporting monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements to external fundersand stakeholders.
- Work within UUKi established financial procedures and agreed budget as directed by the relevant Assistant Director(s).
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with policy leads in other UK and overseas organisations, consult as appropriate to inform UUKi policy positions.
- Undertake other duties that may be required from time to time by the Director orsenior staff of UUKi.
Person specification: Policy Officer (Americas)
- A degree or equivalent level qualification.
- Experience of working within a higher education institution, or working in an organisation within or related to higher education and higher education policy or programmes relevant to the Americas (particularly LatinAmerica).
- Ability to understand and analyse complex information,identify key policy messages and provide clear, succinct advice to senior stakeholders.
- Ability to produce clear, accurate and engaging information, advice and guidance in a range of formats(e.g., publications, reports, blogs, webinars).
- Ability to build effective relationships with external stakeholders, and to use these to influence the development of policy and/or practice.
- Demonstrable ability to plan and manage own time and to effectively manage multiple projects and activities concurrently.
- Understanding and experience of project and programme management principles.
- An understanding of at least one of the following: internationalisation and higher education; politics and policy making systems in the UK; or politics and policy making systems in the Americas (particularly Latin America).
- Relevant language skills – competency in Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- This post will require some travel, including overnight stays – a willingness to travel is required.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, equality and diversity as set out in UUK’s equality and diversity policy.
To apply please follow the link