Advise and support senior leaders in UK higher education on governance and other critical issues. In this influential role, you will head up Advance HE’s existing governance advisory portfolio and help develop our wider consultancy business across a spectrum of services. It’s a great opportunity to contribute to the future strength and sustainability of UK universities while playing a key role in the organisation, its future growth and success.
In return for your work, you’ll receive a range of benefits including:
• A generous pension with USS.
• Enhanced family leave benefits.
• 31 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays.
• Flexible working hours.
What you’ll be doing
Working with a high degree of autonomy you will plan and lead Advance HE’s governance portfolio and build on our market-leading position supporting the boards of higher education providers to be as effective as possible. Generating thought leadership and championing best practice, you will enjoy considerable profile within the national and international HE governance community. At the same time, you will contribute to income growth by identifying opportunities, generating strategic consultancy solutions, handling consultancy tenders and assuring high-quality projects for clients. You will collaborate across the entire organisation to decide how best to support our members, ensure processes run smoothly and deliver excellence, making a real difference to HE. You will report to the Assistant Director – Consulting, Governance and Insight, and will have some line management responsibilities.
Who we’re looking for
Most likely working as a consultant or senior advisor within UK education, you bring in-depth understanding of higher education governance and the strategic and operational challenges faced by senior HE leaders. Significant experience of leading and developing consultancy services; programme and project management; and exposure to product and business development are also important. You’ll be highly adept at collaborating, managing senior-level relationships, influencing key stakeholders and meeting client needs.
What do you need
• Track-record of working at management level, including some line management
• Experience of devising and delivering cross-organisational development initiatives and programmes using informal or formal programme/project management approaches
• Proven ability to collaborate with external partners at a senior level
• A creative, analytical and nuanced approach to identifying opportunities and solving problem
• Experience of delivering consultancy at board and executive level, with the confidence to manage such clients
• Good organisation, resilience, self-reliance, integrity and adaptability
About Advance HE
Advance HE is a member-led, sector-owned charity that works with institutions and higher education across the world to improve higher education for staff, students and society.
Our strategic goals ̶ to enhance confidence and trust in HE, address systemic inequalities, and advance education to meet the evolving needs of students and society ̶ support the work of our members and the HE sector.
We are experts in higher education with a particular focus on enhancing teaching and learning, effective governance, leadership development and tackling inequalities through our equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) work.
We deliver our support through professional development programmes and events, Fellowships, awards, student surveys, providing strategic change and consultancy services and through membership (including accreditation of teaching and learning, equality charters, research, knowledge and resources).
Using our expertise and sharing best practice, we work with our network of global associates and partners, and with people, providers and systems around the world to understand contexts and challenges and deliver solutions. It is our people and the people we help that really make us who we are.
• We may close this vacancy earlier than the deadline as applications are being reviewed on a regular basis throughout the advertised period and interviews may take place for suitable candidates.