As a policy specialist working in an inclusive, fast-paced organisation at the heart of British democracy, you will be part of a team that provides impartial policy and research support directly to a Committee of Members of Parliament holding the Government to account. Your work will include:
- advising on possible subjects for scrutiny, including drafting terms of reference and calls for evidence for inquiries,
- preparing briefing material and conducting analysis of evidence,
- attending, and providing advice during, Committee meetings,
- drafting Committee reports and other papers, including correspondence and media and social media materials,
- organising and attending Committee events and visits (possibly overseas), and
- maintaining up-to-date knowledge about the Committee’s subject area through research and by building on relevant external contacts and networks. You will be expected to work collaboratively with colleagues on other committees, the media and outreach teams, the Commons Library, and other parts of the House service, and may have the opportunity to be involved in work on the House’s wider activities.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Ability to research often unfamiliar topics and rapidly acquire specialist knowledge using a range of sources, to analyse this information and to develop well-argued, evidence-based conclusions.
- A sound knowledge of education and/or children’s social care policy formed through extensive practical experience in a relevant policy, government, or scrutiny role, or demonstrated through a degree or equivalent or higher-level qualification in this field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex information clearly, impartially and succinctly to a non-specialist audience.
- A 2:1 degree (or equivalent) or postgraduate qualification, or comparable work experience in a relevant policy/scrutiny environment.
- Annual leave starting at 30 days pro rata
- Civil Service Pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym