The Infrastructure and Specialist Analytics (ISA) team plays a pivotal role in the development and maintenance of data used for institution wide business intelligence activities in the Open University. Creating and continuously optimising highly efficient and centralised data on student behaviour underpins the data science, data visualisation and data storytelling capabilities of our analytics functions as well as statutory reporting and ensure a single version of the truth.
The Senior Analyst ensures that reliable and effective information systems are in place to support the wide range of functions within the Strategy and Information Office (SIO): Business Intelligence, Predictive Modelling, Planning and Forecasting and Statutory Reporting. Information needs of our customers, VCE, academic and operational units as well as the HE funding agencies and HESA, regularly change. Consequently, the post holder will be able to provide rapid solutions delivered to a deadline and built and maintained in line with audit requirements.
The role holder also assists the team leader in exploring new directions and determine the future of the team.
- Maintain and enhance the SAS datasets and marts used by SIO and other units.
- Update systems to take account of changes to operational data and systems.
- Liaise with the IT unit on operational data extracts.
- Maintain documentation to agreed standards.
Systems analysis and development
- In consultation with other stakeholders, develop and promulgate agreed data definitions.
- Provide SAS programming support to the team, contributing to the development of SAS skills and the dissemination of good practice in the analysis of information needs and the design and implementation of efficient and maintainable SAS programs.
- Champion common approaches such as re-usable code, standardised definitions, etc.
- Apply appropriate project management and systems development methodologies.
- Investigate new techniques to improve the processing and quality of MI data.
- In collaboration with IT and other units, and using your expertise in end-to-end processes in the BI journey, identify opportunities and value the development of new big data and cloud based analytics infrastructure capabilities (Hadoop/Spark, MS Azure, AWS).
- Contribute analytical, programming and systems expertise to SIO and collaborative projects.
- Contribute to the development of the University’s Data Warehouse, specifically in the provision of data marts for SIO and collaborating units.
Line management of junior staff
- Manage workload and priorities
- Set objectives and identify development needs.
For information and to apply click here