Chief Operating Officer
Overall objective of the post
• To work closely with the Director and Governors to help develop and shape the future strategy of Ravensbourne, ensuring that in the context of financial stability, it is fully and effectively implemented;
• To manage and continuously improve the performance of the supporting operational functions;
• To deputise for the Director as required.
Strategic development and implementation
Work in partnership with the Director and other members of Executive Team to:
• keep pace with the external educational and technological environment in the UK and internationally, and assess the implications for the future development Ravensbourne;
• drive the implementation of Ravensbourne’s Strategic Plan, setting, monitoring and evaluating its goals, targets and key performance indicators, reporting progress to Governors on a regular basis;
• maximise the use of the approved budget to meet or exceed the annually planned goals and targets;
• support academic and commercial endeavours and ensure that they are implemented efficiently, on time, on budget and with the requisite returns on investment;
• ensure statutory, legal and regulatory compliance with corporate policies and standards and that appropriate risk management practices and policies are in place;
• ensure the continuous development of risk assessment, monitoring and reporting;
• oversee the development and maintenance of a Ravensbourne-wide approach to planning and project management;
• maintain effective relationships with Government departments, OfS, UUK, other academic institutions and organisations in the private and commercial sectors, providing a strong and visible presence on behalf of the Ravensbourne.
Lead and manage the operational services in support of Ravensbourne’s strategic goals by ensuring:
• the provision of an effective and efficient physical, operational, financial and organisational environment;
• the development and implementation of financial, human resources, IT and estates strategies, aligned with Ravensbourne’s strategic objectives;
• the development and maintenance of purposeful working relationships between the operational services, fully utilizing the estate, technology and skills, and obtaining best value from the use of these resources;
• a responsive and efficient approach to service delivery that meets the needs and aspirations of students, staff and partners;
• the development and effective implementation of efficient and future-proof policies, systems, processes and infrastructure through the implementation of a culture of continuous improvement;
• the line management of the Director of Human Resources, Director of Finance, Head of Policy & Planning, Head of Facilities Management, Head of IT Operations.
• Ensure the development and growth of commercial activity through the supportive management of the Head of Commercial Development;
• Deputise for the Director as required;
• Demonstrate understanding of Ravensbourne’s values, culture and educational ethos and promote these through everyday practice in the role;
• Work within Ravensbourne’s Code of Conduct and other Rules;
• Comply with all legislative, regulatory and policy requirements (e.g. Finance, HR) as appropriate;
• Carry out the policies, procedures and practices of Health & Safety in all aspects of the role;
• Demonstrate value and importance of equality and diversity in every aspect of Ravensbourne’s work, and show commitment through everyday practice in the role;
• Work in accordance with, and promote Ravensbourne’s environmental sustainability policy and practices;
• Work continuously to improve individual knowledge, skills and behaviours for the current role and for the longer-term, gaining appropriate professional qualifications/accreditation and maintaining membership of appropriate professional bodies as appropriate;
• Make full use of all information and communication technologies to meet the requirements of the role and to promote organisational effectiveness;
• Perform such other duties consistent with the role as may from time to time be assigned, collaborating fully with others to get the work done and Ravensbourne’s objectives achieved.
For information and to apply please click here
Interviews will take place on the 31st January 2018.
Should you wish to have a conversation, please contact either Ilona, Valentina or Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org