Wonkhe is the home of higher education policy, bringing the sector together through expert, trusted and essential analysis. A community of diverse voices, we provide platforms to drive the policy conversation forward and bring about real change.
Wonkhe SUs is a subscription service for students’ unions that is designed to save officers and staff time, and improve the effectiveness of student representation, campaigning and policy work.
We do this through a mixture of expert briefings, emails, alerts, webinars, training and special projects.
Representing students effectively is tough when policy is complex, confusing and constantly changing. We know that officers and staff that understand the environment are more effective, and get more done. We help with that.
We think the challenges on students and students unions are increasing, and require rapid, creative thinking. We provide and facilitate that too.
At Wonkhe we love students’ unions. Many of us began our careers in students’ unions. We think the UK students’ union system is unrivalled around the world and makes UK higher education better. So we naturally want to deliver work in this area.
We see work with students’ unions as an investment in our mission to improve higher education policymaking, provide a platform unheard and diverse voices, and an opportunity to support the sector’s wider talent pipeline.
We’re not a representative body – we’ll never seek to speak on behalf of students or students’ unions. That’s your job, along with your National Union.
We’re also not a campaigning body – there won’t be a national demonstration or a lobby of parliament.
We’re not democratic and we’re non-partisan. That doesn’t mean you won’t hear professional opinions from the team and doesn’t mean we won’t involve SUs and students in our work – but we won’t take a policy position or have an elected committee.
We mean policy
As well as strict higher education policy, we have an interest in and expertise in wider areas that apply to HE – like equality and diversity, governance and charity law, and freedom of speech.
We know you are busy – so we’ll do the reading so you don’t have to, distilling the essentials and helping you lead and deliver for your students in the process.
When you are as familiar with the issues as your university’s senior team, you’re more effective.
We’re up to date – in the sector we’re relied upon for our quality and timely analysis so we like to stay nimble and be responsive. We keep our operation lean, our partnerships wide and don’t get bogged down by bureaucracy or layers of complexity.
Subscription details (£3,675 + £350 VAT)
- Minimum twice weekly policy briefings and beginner’s guides on key issues in higher education
- Access to our briefings archive with over 200 guides to key issues and research findings on students and SUs
- Entitlement to a day’s training for your officers on effective policy analysis and creation
- A bespoke weekly email for SUs featuring the latest developments, news coverage, analysis and opportunities for SUs as well as news from around the network
- Access to our WhatsApp alerts and group
- Access to the Wonkhe Daily: our flagship briefing intelligence service for universities
- Weekly interactive webinars from the team on issues in HE you will be discussing with your institution
- Team Wonkhe on retainer, offering advice and support with your representation and policy issues and regular catch ups
- Discounted rates to Wonkhe events, including the flagship Wonkfest
- Access to the Wonkhe Briefing – our termly policy digest
Wonkhe SUs: Additional
As well as our subscription, we will also:
- Run bespoke events and seminars aimed specifically at students’ union officers and staff
- Access to bespoke opt-in projects on key contemporary policy issues raised in manifestos and strategies
- Organise collective projects to offer student research that has an impact locally and nationally
- Offer specific services, both in house and with leading partners, to develop your policy and representation work and thinking
- Practitioner forums for key management and policy staff with access to key sector bodies
- Contribute the latest thinking to student movement and HE events
- We’ll also help you respond to consultations, understand the local implications or national issues, and identify opportunities to apply for funding
Don’t take our word for it
Since our launch in March 2019, over 50 SUs have joined our service from all parts of the sector and of all sizes.
Our research in November 2019 generated a Net Promoter Score of +43.5%.
94% of users tell us that Wonkhe SUs helps them in their role in the SU.
Comments from subscriber SUs:
“I am genuinely struggling to think of improvements, I find the content varied, informative, comes with good analysis and insight and the length is great with links attached for further reading”
“It’s like having another member of staff”
“It’s honestly transformed the way we work and the way policy is discussed and thought about in the union.”
Find out more
To subscribe now, to ask a question, arrange for us to present to your team or to just find out more, drop us an email and we’ll be in touch.