About the Role
The Social Media Manager has primary responsibility for maintaining the university’s social media presence across its corporate accounts, in line with its social media strategy and related plans, with a view to:
Building the university’s social media following in key platforms
Increasing engagement with our social content and core messages
The role, part of the multi award-winning Social Media Engagement Team in External Communications within the Marketing and Communications Unit, will support the Senior Manager (Social Media Strategy) in the delivery of formal campaigns, proactive and reactive reputation management and the concept of ‘social everywhere’. In addition the role will advise key university practitioners, in other units and faculties, on social media best practice, policy and delivery.
1. Generate, edit, publish and share daily content, across core university accounts (original text, images, video and other) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action. Maintain a focus on communications objectives including reputation management and communicating academic excellence.
2. Execute the university’s social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification. Keep abreast of new and emerging social media advancements, ensuring the team are appropriately innovative and creative in their delivery.
3. Community management via a triage process to monitor, moderate and respond to users with a view to building brand advocacy and customer warmth while protecting and enhancing the university’s reputation. Support the University’s business continuity and reputation response management processes through effective social media monitoring using tools including Hootsuite and Brandwatch.
4. Continuously improve social media output and performance by capturing and analysing campaign and social media metrics, utilising insights derived to make recommendations and acting on information in a timely manner.
5. Collaborate with other teams, units and faculties including OpenLearn, Library, Open University Students Association, Nations, Media Relations, Internal Communications, Government and External Affairs, to identify stories, coordinating plans and activities to deliver against communications objectives.
6. Contribute creative ideas and latest sector thinking to the Marketing and Communications Unit’s content planning processes and meetings. Recommending the right media, platforms, production and creative
expressions to achieve the required results for a social media brief.
7. Manage the delivery of any campaigns and projects to time and budget adhering to team and unit processes and governance structures.
8. Become an advocate for the university in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate. Ensure social media toolkits, policies and processes remain up to date and reflect trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
Skills and Experience
1. Proven experience of working extensively within social media channels including, but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube and creating multimedia content.
2. Prior experience of using social media channels to build engagement with key audiences and develop affiliated communities.
3. Experience of monitoring social media performance, providing analytics and measures for evaluating campaign performance, working with tools like Hootsuite and Brandwatch.
4. Prior experience of planning, developing and implementing complex communications projects, across a wide media mix and developing content for integrated campaigns including video assets and live social media events.
5. Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, Adobe PhotoShop/Illustrator or similar, Adobe Premier Pro or similar video editing software, Canva.
6. Excellent copywriting skills – a proven ability to write clear, engaging copy for different audiences and platforms.
This role requires flexible out of hours working, including some evenings and weekends, and the opportunity to travel to our Nations offices and some of our many degree
For more and to apply please click here