Division – Pearson UK, Pearson Business School
Location – 190 High Holborn
Contract Type – Permanent/Full Time
Reports to: Dr Elizabeth Miller, Deputy Dean Pearson Business School
Pearson Business School currently has just under 1,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, including degree apprentices from employers such as L’Oreal, NHS, IBM, and TfL. We primarily offer face to face tuition and all of our programmes are validated by the University of Kent. In 2018, we were rated as silver on the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
We are looking for exceptional teaching staff who can bring theory to life for our students and bridge the gap between the classroom and the workplace. The post holder will design and teach classes and assessments, working with other staff. They will provide excellent support to our students and will also act as a personal tutor to a group of undergraduates.
The post-holder will deliver online and face to face teaching on both a group and individual basis. The post holder will be required to be innovative and flexible to meet the diverse needs of our student population, delivering a high quality teaching experience and providing pastoral support to our students.
- Design and deliver interactive teaching to undergraduate and/or postgraduate students, ensuring that module content is informed by research and scholarship and is kept current
- Provide ongoing pastoral and academic support to our students
- Work with assessments team to provide formative and summative feedback to students and to create assessments
- Continuously update teaching materials and module specifications in response to professional body requirements as well as engaging in module monitoring and other QA processes to respond to student and staff feedback
- Liaise with industry engagement team to connect modules to talent development opportunities, always seeking to help students understand the empirical applications of theory
- Engage in scholarly activity relating to the postholder’s academic field, or to teaching and learning
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Relevant postgraduate degree
- Professional qualification
- Teaching qualification (PGCE, PGCHE, Advance HE fellowship etc)
- Teaching/training experience in education or employment contexts
- Practitioner in business/marketing (with an emphasis on digital marketing)
- Teaching experience in HE across a range of subjects
- Experience using VLEs and information management systems to create and monitor learning
- Experience working with a diverse range of students
- Research experience
Skills and abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to combine empathy and supportiveness with firm direction when tutoring
- The ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders and recognise and negotiate competing organisational priorities
- The ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders, including students, academic staff and professional services staff
- Ability to design learning materials
- Ability to collect data effectively and use it to produce reports demonstrating the impact of tutoring and areas for further development
Why Pearson College London?
We’ve come a long way in a short space of time : We continually innovate and in the past year the College and our students have been nominated for several awards, including the CIM’s Marketing Excellence Awards 2018, the Times Higher Education Awards 2017 for Business School of the Year and Outstanding University Entrepreneurship Award, the HEIST Awards 2017 for Best Marketing Team, Best Prospectus from a Specialist Institution and Best Website. Our Escape Studios undergraduate degrees team received a Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (CATE) finalist certificate recognising our collaboration with industry to develop the programmes for the benefit of our students who are now benefiting from the innovative approach to course development.
Real world ready: We collaborate with industry, thought leaders and experts to anticipate industry needs. We create experiences that develop savvy, work-ready graduates, who are ready for the real-world – today and tomorrow.
Transformative: We’re transforming and disrupting HE and industry. We challenge the status-quo.
Team rules! Students, industry, colleagues, thought-leaders – collaboration, inclusion and transparency are crucial to success.
Engaged and curious: We are constantly engaged and curious about changing industries, and learning by doing.
More great things about working here….
We’re part of Pearson Plc, the world’s largest education company. Pearson has over 30,000 staff worldwide and this role is based in their offices in London. Pearson is committed to a world that’s always learning and to its talented team who makes it all possible.
We’ll expect a lot and we know you’ll do great work, so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business. We know that one size doesn’t fit all so our workplace programs meet the different needs of our diverse teams, and their families too. There is a range of options, too many to list here, but when you join you can expect:
- a starting holiday of 25 days increasing to 30, with options to flex up or down
- an annual incentive plan based on company and individual performance
- generous pension scheme – contributions are double matched by Pearson
- stock purchase options
- health plans, and an employee assistance programme for you and your family, to help balance work, family and personal life including flexible working, dental plans, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme and season ticket loans.
If we sound like a good match for you, or maybe for a friend, we’d love to receive an application. Find out more about how learning makes us, at www.pearson.com.
To apply please click here