The British Council was founded to create ‘a friendly knowledge and understanding’ between the people of the UK and wider world by making a positive contribution to the countries we work with, and in doing so making a lasting difference to the UK’s international standing, prosperity and security. The programmes we use to do this are wide-ranging and cover the arts, education, English, science and society.
Education and Society
Through our work in Education and Society, we provide opportunities for people to broaden their horizons and build sustainable futures.
Our work in Education aims to raise the quality of education globally and connect people across the globe to share best practice, and ultimately improve learning outcomes. Our work contributes to global education policy, supports international mobility and collaboration and promotes the UK as a world leader in education and research.
Our Society programmes enable individuals, communities and governments to work together to make positive contribution where it matters – from strengthening civil society, to widening access to justice, and promoting the rule of law. Our work also includes social enterprise, girls’ and women’s access to inclusion, youth and sport. The aim is to help build stronger, safer and more inclusive societies.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Higher Education, Research and Strategy Co-ordinator to prepare a high quality Higher Education & Research Strategy to assure optimum impact for both UK and other European Countries (50% of the role) and grow the Higher Education portfolio of programmes on a financially sustainable basis
This consists of a 50% HE & Research role and 50% of general E&S support.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following essential knowledge & experience:
- Strong network of educational and cultural professionals and influencers in the UK
- Experience of working with UK universities, UK HE & research sector
- Substantial experience of project management at leadership level within the higher education and/or science fields Experience of leading programmes / contracts for major UK donors and sponsors
Some of the main opportunities/challenges include: (Please see Role Profile for full details of the duties)
- Ensuring the British Council remains up to date during and after Brexit negotiations on HE policy and understanding the implications for the UK and EU HE sector
- Linking the HE work with science research and innovation through greater research collaboration for UK universities
- Developing new services in our SIEM work and achieving increased quality in those we already deliver
- Providing input & knowledge and writing actual bids in the area of HE & Research and Science collaboration
- Mapping of in-country activities to coordinate and harmonise them with regional as well as HQ business growth strategy
- Monitoring on and evaluating of progress against strategic plans and targets
Equality Comment & Equality of Opportunity (UK)
Valuing diversity is essential to the British Council’s work. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to try and avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies.
Please note that in December 2020, the British Council will relocate its new global headquarters to: International Quarter, Stratford, London E20