In 2020, the University was named The Sunday Times ‘Welsh University of the Year 2021’; in 2021 it became the Times Higher Education ‘UK and Ireland University of the Year 2022’; and in 2022 it was ranked the top university in the UK in the People and Planet Green League.
If you have a record of achievement that demonstrates the commitment, aptitude and enthusiasm to contribute to our global learning community through excellent teaching, scholarship, research and innovation, along with a shared passion for our values and vision, we look forward to receiving your application. We are particularly keen to hear from, and to support, applicants who will help develop our research standing and who will enhance the diversity of our university, our community and our partnerships.
The Quality Enhancement Directorate is at the heart of Cardiff Met, working in partnership with colleagues in the Schools and Professional Services to make a positive contribution to the experiences of staff and students at the University. Spanning the Quality Assurance provision and the enhancement and development of Teaching and Learning, we play a unique and significant part in shaping policy and progress in line with the University’s Strategic Plans. We are at an exciting stage of development, offering the right people the opportunity for creativity and professional progression within their role through the transformation of our services. This is an amazing opportunity to join a friendly, energetic team, and to make your mark in Technology Enhanced Learning at a vibrant, fast-developing University.
Principal duties and responsibilities
This post will be responsible and accountable for the operationalisation of the University’s vision for learning, teaching, and quality enhancement, leading time limited projects/ initiatives relating to student partnership and engagement.
Managing the Student Partnerships and Engagement Team in QED, ensuring the University approach to student engagement and partnership leads to impactful improvements in the student learning experience.
Leading and managing specific change management projects, as determined by the Director of Learning Enhancement and PVC Student Engagement,
Collaborating with key staff in QED and the Associate Deans in Schools to achieve the Measures of Success connected to teaching, learning and student engagement.
Contributing to academic development work, delivering on the Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching & Academic Practice (PgTAP) and supporting staff to achieve Advance HE Fellowships.
What we are looking for
– An in-depth knowledge of, and national/international recognition in, specialist subject and professional area.
– An in-depth understanding of pedagogy/research/innovation and scholarly activity.
– Ability to oversee the design and development of the overall curricula.
– Ability to review programme design on a regular basis to ensure compliance with quality standards and academic regulations and to make alterations where appropriate.
– Lead the development and implementation of research strategy at either school and/or corporate level.
– Ability to exercise academic leadership for all subject area teaching and research activity.
– Ability to lead on a range of strategic developments e.g. consultancy, income generation, knowledge transfer, collaborative partnerships and networks at national and international level.
– Ability to communicate and disseminate complex and conceptual ideas in a variety of ways.
– Ability to advise, influence and negotiate effectively both internally and externally to effect appropriate school/organisational development and direction.
– Experience of HE teaching.
– Experience of providing academic leadership and first line support/mentoring for colleagues including the fair allocation of work according to skills and capacity.
– Experience of leading on the development of academic strategies for example, teaching and learning, research and enterprise at school and/or corporate level.
– A good honours degree.
– Doctoral qualification.
– Ability to achieve Fellow Status as part of the Higher Education Academy’s Professional Recognition scheme, within agreed timescales (as soon as is practicably possible and definitely within three years of commencement of employment).
You will be an enthusiastic and friendly professional with excellent communication and interpersonal skills coupled with a commitment to providing an excellent student experience. An established or promising research profile and very good teaching experience on relevant programmes is essential.
To be successful you will further enrich our students’ experience through your expertise and subject knowledge as evidenced through your qualifications and experience.
If you would like to talk with us about this opportunity please contact Dr Joanna Hendy, Director of Learning Enhancement, at email@example.com.
Should a high volume of applications be received, we may need to close this vacancy early. We therefore encourage you to apply as early as possible.
The University is committed to creating a highly inclusive culture. We offer family friendly and flexible working arrangements and a range of staff networks, forums and events to support and develop our people. We warmly welcome applications from those traditionally underrepresented in the higher education sector.
Please read our Candidate Pack or visit our staff recruitment website for information about working for us, our culture, benefits, work-life balance and our career progression and development opportunities.