The Director of University Relations will be responsible for The Complete University Guide consultancy visits and an input into the development of accompanying bespoke statistical portfolios.
The principal element of the job will consist of visits to universities to highlight the important part played by League Tables and, in particular, The Complete University Guide, as an information, advice and guidance source for university applicants and their mentors.
This awareness-raising aspect of the post will be at the invitation of universities and their national bodies or, more likely, by a proactive marketing of the service. Visits are likely to include a full day’s programme of detailed presentations and discussions with the senior management of the institution and other interested groups within academic and administrative departments.
High quality bespoke data packages, including time series, will be available from the Guide for each presentation and sent in advance to the university to equip staff to better understand and analyse their standings in the University League Tables and, in particular, in The Complete University Guide.
- You are confident, have an open and honest approach, are known for your integrity and for reserving bold statements to those that are supported by facts
- You have a strong interest in higher education and its broader political context, student choice and the role played by independent providers of student information is a prerequisite for success in this post
- The role will necessarily require a detailed knowledge of University League Tables, their strategic role and their methodologies or a ready willingness to obtain such knowledge
- You are likely to have a solid background at a senior level in university planning, marketing, schools liaison, graduate careers or graduate recruitment
- You will be an authoritative and trusted ambassador operating at the highest level, with all that this entails.
- You should be comfortable handling complex data sets, understanding data visualization and explaining portfolios which are meaningful, accurate and pleasing to the eye
- The post demands excellent communication and people skills, familiarity with social media and extensive experience of speaking to both small, intimate groups and at major gatherings
- The post requires an ability to engage university senior management and university staff within a variety of settings, including seminars, workshops and conferences. There may also be occasional radio or television appearances
- Although full induction, training and mentoring will be available, it is expected that the person in post will be self-motivated and eventually content to work at arms length, both for the planning and execution of the core tasks
- You will be self-employed and work from home but be able and willing to travel throughout the UK, even perhaps occasionally overseas, although not in the early period in post
- The role will be one year initially but to include a rollover clause at the end of the period subject to satisfactory progress.
Most of the Complete University Guide colleagues work out of various locations across the UK and largely keeps in touch by phone, email and Skype/Facetime. The person in this post will be closely involved with our Research and University Liaison Manager and with the Chairman. In fact, it is envisaged that initial university visits will be undertaken jointly in the first year.
You will also be supported by and work closely with the wider Hotcourses Group Insights team, including the Insights Manager who is responsible for the promotion of relevant services through events and content marketing.
The Complete University Guide (www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk) is a fully independent brand and product of the Hotcourses Group, a multinational business with offices in the UK, North America, Asia and Australia
Main meetings, usually in London, are for its Advisory, Editorial and Development Groups.
The Guide has been publishing university and related league tables online since 2007 as part of its comprehensive coverage of the higher education scene, including university and city profiles, subjects and courses, fees and funding, accommodation, safety and security, employment and salaries, and an international dimension
Traffic to the site continues to show substantial growth with more than 25 million visitors last year
We have a wealth of experience of working in and with the higher and further education sectors and regularly consult universities to ensure that information in the Guide is accurate and up to date. We work closely with UCAS, HESA, HESPA, AGCAS and other relevant agencies
At the heart of all we do is our aim of offering free to access, independent, accurate and trusted information and advice to enable students, particularly university applicants, their parents and advisors make informed decisions about higher education
How to Apply
Please send an up to date CV (maximum 2 pages), a statement (maximum 500 words) outlining why you are interested in this post and your suitability for it, and contact details of 2 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Informal enquiries to Dr Bernard Kingston, The Chairman (0114 2305 759)