Appointment of Dean of Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterised by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterised by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 18,000 students and 4,300 employees. Reflecting the University’s strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The University hosts six faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Maastricht University is looking to appoint a new Dean of its Faculty of Health Medicine and Life Sciences (FHML). The Dean holds ultimate responsibility for education, research and management of the Faculty and is expected to work closely with the Executive Board to develop and implement the strategy and vision of Maastricht University. In addition, he or she has the mandate to represent the University in the executive board of the Maastricht University Medical Center (MUMC+), a collaboration between Maastricht University and the Academic Hospital Maastricht.
FHML is known for providing high-quality international undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate education in Health, Medicine, and Life Sciences. With 5,300 students and 1,600 degrees per year, the Faculty fosters a uniquely broad, multidisciplinary learning environment in which student-centred, small-group, problem-based learning is key, and students can engage in diverse intercultural learning experiences. FHML has 1,900 employees (the UM total number of employees is 4,400). Faculty members conduct excellent, internationally visible scientific research in the areas of health, medicine, and life sciences and contribute to the generation of innovative solutions to a healthier region. The research budget of the Faculty exceeds 115 million euro.
To facilitate knowledge creation and knowledge exchange with societal stakeholders, it invests largely in national and international collaborations. Next, to the research schools (6x) the Faculty participates together with the other Faculties of the University, in two important research institutes, M4I Institute for Molecular Imaging and MERLN, Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Within the Maastricht University Medical Center, the Faculty is closely collaborating with the Academic Hospital Maastricht to align patient care with research and education. In addition, the Faculty participates in the Brightlands Health Campus.
Person Specifications and Qualities
- The new Dean has an excellent academic track record that is internationally recognised;
- The candidate has a consistent and strong track of achievements in innovation in learning and teaching and considers the breadth of the multidisciplinary environment as an asset;
- The candidate has a demonstrable track record in leadership; this translates into a demonstrated ability to mobilise academics and staff behind a common goal, someone who pays attention to diversity in the Faculty and in the broad context of the University and bridges differences as a matter of course;
- The role requires someone who cooperates in a transparent and honest way, listens and asks critical questions, has sufficient self-reflective capacity, inspires as a role model, creates commitment and support for choices;
- The Dean is solution-oriented, resolute, vigorous and flexible, acts transparently, is result-oriented and able to handle stress, applies a hands-on approach when necessary and encourages others through their actions;
- The Dean should have excellent insight into financial and economic matters and know the right questions to ask professionals;
- The Dean should have experience working in the Dutch higher education environment, and fluency in the Dutch language is desirable. A non-Dutch candidate must be willing to learn these skills as soon as possible. Candidates that that are not native speakers of the Dutch language must be able to achieve a Dutch language level corresponding to the C1 level within the first year of their appointment. Fluency in English is essential.
Appointment Process and How to Apply
Perrett Laver, a global executive search firm, is supporting Maastricht University in the search for a new Dean. Perrett Laver will conduct an executive search process in parallel with the public advertisement of the role. Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions on +31 20 2404 379 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications can be uploaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/quoting reference 4091.
The closing date for applications is on Tuesday, October 1st 2019, at 09:00 CET. Applications will be considered by the selection committee in October and longlisted candidates will be invited to meet with Perrett Laver at the end of October and the first week of November. Shortlisted candidates will be selected by the committee in the second week of November and interviews with the appointment committee will take place on Wednesday the 27th of November 2019. The procedure might include a selection assessment. Furthermore, a certificate of conduct must be available for submission.
Protecting your personal data is of utmost importance to Perrett Laver and they take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by Perrett Laver’s trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide Perrett Laver with is securely stored on a computerised database and transferred to clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, as defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Our legal basis for much of our data processing activity is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please visit our website http://www.perrettlaver.com/information/privacy-policy