Trustee Board Member – upReach
upReach, a rapidly growing social mobility charity, are looking to recruit an additional Trustee Board member to support the charity with their continued expansion.
The ideal candidate will have expertise and knowledge of the Higher Education sector.
About the organisation
upReach is a social mobility charity founded in 2012 which works with undergraduates from less advantaged backgrounds, helping them to secure access to top graduate jobs. upReach partner with top employers and leading universities to systematically improve graduate employability of the target population. The charity provides programmatic support led by Programme Coordinators, who delivered tailored, one-on-one support to over six hundred students in 2016/17.
As well as offering one-on-one graduate employability support to eligible students at partner universities upReach also offer tailored Springboard programmes that support students applying to partner sectors e.g., Corporate Law, Finance, Strategy Consultancy, Public Sector. This support is open to all eligible students in the UK. Current employer partners include Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Civil Service Fast Stream, Deloitte, KPMG, McKinsey & Co., and Unilever, amongst others. University partners include Exeter University, King’s College London, University of Liverpool, University of Reading and the University of Southampton. In addition, upReach supported students from thirty five other universities during 2016/17.
About the role
In the last twelve months upReach has undergone a period of transformation, doubling the number of supported students and employer partner base, growing the trustee board and creating a new Advisory Board with members from employers, universities and academics working in the fields of social mobility and graduate employability. As part of this continued expansion (with plans to double in size in the next three years) the Board of Trustees are looking to recruit an additional Trustee Board member, one with deep expertise and knowledge of the Higher Education sector.
Ideal candidates should have a history of working within Higher Education and a passion for social mobility. The role may suit existing or retiring HE leaders, Widening Participation experts or those involved in policy. The ideal candidate would be able to:
- Advise on the changing nature of Higher Education policy and problem-solve the implications for upReach’s mission and objectives
- Bring the perspective of Higher Education leaders to Trustee Board meetings and supporting Trustees to challenge the Executive with that understanding
- Provide guidance to the Chief Executive and relevant members of the delivery team to build a robust engagement approach for the sector
- Draw on a wide network within the Higher Education sector, making introductions where appropriate
- Previous Charity Board experience would also be an advantage.
In 2017-18 the Trustee Board will meet six times, with an additional Strategy Day held over the summer. Expectations are that Board members meet in-person in London, though teleconference facilities can be made available for Trustees who cannot attend in-person.
The role is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although expenses for reasonable travel may be claimed.
The closing date for applications is Monday 30th October 2017.
Applications should include:
▪ A comprehensive CV including details of your achievements, including details of two referees (who will not of course be contacted without your prior knowledge or consent)
▪ A supporting statement highlighting your key strengths and how you feel you meet the criteria for the role.
Remuneration: Volunteer – Part time
To apply, or for further information, please contact Amy Prewer on email@example.com